The Department of Dental Public Health Sciences (DPHS) will strongly support The Maurice H. Kornberg School of Dentistry’s mission and goals. As an academic multidisciplinary public health research, education, and service entity in The Maurice H. Kornberg School of Dentistry, it is the mission of DPHS to leverage institutional resources to improve access to care and contribute significantly to the local, national, and international body of scholarly work in dental public health research, education and service.
The goals and objectives of DPHS will focus on, but not be limited to, service, education and training, and research. DPHS will strive to provide high quality oral health care to the community and to improve oral health training through:
- Providing high quality and continuous community-based oral health care services and comprehensive health care training for the students of The Maurice H. Kornberg School of Dentistry.
- Training first-rate professionals who will understand and appreciate the barriers in society to achieving high levels of oral health care, and strive to remove those barriers and extend high quality health care services to various populations.
- Developing high quality research toward understanding the interplay within and among biological, socio-economic and cultural forces in all aspects of health care.
- Training quality scientists and educators in clinical sciences who will successfully develop new ideas and technologies to further the field of dentistry and public health.
- Developing collaborations across schools, departments, and programs within Temple University and across other universities, and developing partnerships with the community and industry.
- Recruiting and retaining community-engaged, productive, and scholarly dental public health faculty.